The Present Tense in Spanish


Present tense:

The present tense is used for the following

1.     An action or state of being at the present time.
a.     Hablo español I speak Spanish
b.    Estoy muy triste I am very sad

2.    A habitual action.
a.     Voy a la biblioteca todos los días I go to the library every day.

3.    To express facts or general truths.
a.     Seis menos dos son cuatro – six minus two is four
b.    El ejercicio hace maestro al novicio – practice makes perfect

4.    Vividness (or a commentary) when talking about past events. Frequently used in writing.
a.     El asesino se pone pálido. Tiene miedo. Sale de la casa y corre a lo largo del río. The murderer turns pale. He is afraid. He goes out of the house and runs along the river.

5.    A near future.
a.     Mi hermano llega mañana. My brother arrives tomorrow.
b.    ¿Escuchamos un disco ahora? Shall we listen to a record now?

6.    An action that occurred in the past and continues up to the present. A native Spanish speaker will use the present tense of a verb with hace, which is also in the present. Examples would be:
a.     Hace tres horas que miro la televisión. I have been watching television for three hours.
b.    Hace treinta minutos que espero un autobús. I have been waiting for a bus for 30 minutes.

7.    Finally, when using por poco to say almost or nearly:
a.     Por poco me mata. It almost killed me.
b.    Por poco él choca el coche. He almost hit the car.

Present Continuous.

Describes an action that is happening. Use estar plus the gerund of the verb:

I am talking – estoy hablando
We are eating – estamos comiendo
We are selling our house – estamos vendiendo nuestra casa.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

¿Puedes hablar niñita?

Classes start again in September